Tuesday 4 February 2014

Bentoya

And so I headed off for a Japanese lunch at Bentoyaa little Japanese place hidden on the main area of Sheikh Zayed Road. I hadn't heard of this place before, but upon telling my friends about it I realised that it is actually quite well known. If you've clicked on the link you'll find that it takes you to a very basic-looking site with minimal information. Looks good so far, if it ends up being one of those small, authentic places where the staff barely speak English.

We ordered a bunch of different things to try, and while we waited I sipped on my fresh lemon soda, which was a good thirst quencher. The food didn't take too long and soon enough we were munching on some Ebi Tempura. The texture was just right, crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside, and the sauce going with it matched perfectly. My only criticism was that the shrimp was a little bland, but maybe I'm being overly critical.



The sushi all came at the same time. Their salmon sashimi portions are quite big (9 pieces per plate), which is perfect for sharing. Most importantly, it was just the right size and also really fresh and tasty. From the rolls we had the Ten Chili Roll, the Soft Shell Crab Roll and the Crunchy California Maki. The Ten Chili was a definite win, reminding me of Sumo's Crunchy Crazy. So far so good. The Soft Shell Crab was also a positive, and though the Crunchy California had a good taste, I found the rolls themselves a bit too big. On the other hand, the portions themselves are generous and again I found it's a great place to go for sharing.

Overall my experience was really positive, it's not too expensive and you get quality sushi. It's a nice little place to visit now and then.

The Bill (for 2):

- Ebi Tempura (AED 58)
- Ten Chili Roll (AED 26)
- Soft Shell Crab Roll (AED 35)
- Crunchy California Maki (AED 32)
- Salmon Sashimi (AED 52)
- Soft Drinks (AED 6)
- Fresh Lemon Soda (AED 10)

Total : AED 219




No comments:

Post a Comment