Thursday 17 July 2014

Al Fanar (Authentic Emirati Cuisine)

It was a hot, Saturday evening and after some shopping at Ikea, I was running quite a bit late on my Iftar and really looking forward to some good food. My friend and I initially aimed for a different restaurant, but after finding it closed and randomly running into this one, she persuaded me to give it a try.

Entrance to Al Fanar
Apprehension turned to excitement as I entered the place and the first place to greet me was... a smell that reminded me so intensely of my grandmother's house in Bahrain, that I swear I could've been there right there and then. It was a smell that told a story of family, of heritage, of long traditions where blood is stronger than anything, and of soulful, simple food that tugged at my Khaleeji roots.

This was getting exciting.

Despite being an hour into iftar already, we were graciously accepted to a table, having had to pass through a narrow corridor that spoke of the UAE traditions. The decor of the place matched the theme, with simple wooden tables and chairs and no fluff about the place.






The offer for a Ramadan iftar was a 90 Dhs set menu which includes a plate of appetisers, a salad, some soup, a choice of main, a plate of dessert and tea. Oh, water and ramadan drinks are included as well. Not bad for the price at all... 

Appetisers
Chopped cucumbers you say? Tomatoes? Onions? What's so special about that? Well, these simple and humble dishes are packed full of flavour. The simplicity pays respect to the ingredients, which are juicy, fresh and hit just the right spot. The combination of some sour vinegar, sweet tomatoes and rich olive oil was just what I needed at that very moment. My appetite was successfully whet.

Tomato and Onion Salad

Cucumber and Rocket Salad
My date and I ordered a meat salona and shrimp biryani for the mains. The salona, which is basically a wet dish, was cooked slightly different than the way we would do it at home, but this is after all Emirati food and not Bahraini. It was delicious, and the meat very tender, just sliding off the bones. The biryani too was filling and just the right amount of spicy.

Meat Salona

Shrimp Biryani
We ended the night with some karak and a few dates. It was the perfect, spontaneous, soulful evening. The service and hospitality was true to the Arab ways, the waiters were generous, helpful and always had a smile.

Do visit this place to experience some simple, delicious food with a strong heritage.




1 comment: