Tuesday 11 February 2014

Tom & Serg


Ahhhhh, Dubai. You never cease to amaze me.
And so, I discovered my new favourite weekend lunch spot. It is different, it is vibrant, it is delicious, it's fun, it's great to take some friends there, and really great to nurse a long Thursday or Friday night. The amazing thing about this place is that I saw virtually no marketing or advertising for it, it seems to have been popularised entirely by word of mouth - now that really says something.

Tom & Serg - describing itself as "hailing itself from Melbourne's cafe culture" - is just unusual enough, just delicious enough to fit right into Dubai's diverse culture. The cafe is easy to find on Sheikh Zayed road and has lots of parking. But beware - it is only open for breakfast and lunch, so you have to be there before 4.

When I visited, the place was packed. But it was the good kind of busy - people were chatting, eating, laughing, waiters were running around, food was cooking; I liked the vibe. It is a huge open space and reminded me so much of London. The staff is very friendly and I couldn't help but feel excited.

I started myself off with the Tom & Serg Double Burger (of course), and this comes with a side order of chips and garlic aioli. Literally cannot say enough good things about it. The bun is soft and fluffy, the patty is fresh and juicy, and the cheese just perfect. The extra great thing about is their special sauce that they use in their burgers, it's slightly acidic and adds a great depth of flavour to an already delicious burger. The chips are also really good, hot and crispy. But oh, the aioli. Let me tell you about that aioli. It is absolutely scrumptious, and that innocent-looking white sauce may well be the sole reason for you to visit this place (if the other reasons are not enough!)

I couldn't help but feel curious about the dessert, and upon the complete annihilation of my burger, I decided to go for the 7layer (aka Slayer) cake, accompanied by the Magic Coffee. Those two were again winners. The pastry had a complex flavour to it, hints of lemon, nuts, and other distinct tastes. The coffee too was really good, rich but not too strong and I finished it with pleasure.










So if you could not tell already, I highly recommend this place. It is great. It is also not too expensive, for a change for Dubai. There is parking always available. The staff is helpful, the service fast, and the atmosphere great. Please visit and enjoy.

The Bill:

- 1 Magic (AED 15)
- 1 Slayer (7layer) Cake (AED 22)
- 1 Tom & Serg Double Burger (AED 49)

For a total of: AED 86

(No, seriously, where else can we get such quality food for these prices?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment