Monday 24 February 2014

Gelato Mio

Gelato Mio is a British gelato brand that was brought to Dubai by two of my dear friends. Having lived in London for some time, I already knew of the brand and the city's high standards when it comes to anything to do with dessert.

It is located at a kiosk in Dubai Outlet Mall. It may seem some distance away, though really I find it a good excuse to go somewhere different than the usual malls I seem to spend every weekend at. It's a good place to do some shopping either way; you might just find something that you otherwise couldn't because it was out of stock anywhere else. 

Gelato Mio by far has the best quality gelato I've had in Dubai. The texture is just right; it's creamy but not heavy, and it's cold but not frozen. When you go to a gelato place where the server has to fight with the container in order to get a scoop, you know it's not right. This is not the case with Gelato Mio. Another thing that I like is that like in London, the gelato is heaped onto the cup with a spatula-type spoon, not with a round scoop. This makes a difference; though the cups are small, the actual amount is really quite generous.


My friend and I went for 2 medium-sized cups. Out of old habit, I chose to mix two of my favourite flavours, which are Strawberry and Biscotti. I tend to prefer fruity flavours when it comes to gelato, it's just more fresh and vibrant. In either case the two did not disappoint; I finished my cup with much enjoyment. My friend went for Tiramisu and Hazelnut. The Hazelnut I think was the best of all the 4 flavours we tried, it reminded me of nutella, and of course anything to do with nutella is instantly a winner. The Tiramisu was good too, though I would have liked the flavour to be a bit stronger. It could be that we did not choose the right two flavours to mix; if you visit, I would strongly suggest a mix of something fruity with something creamy, like I did.

I've been as often as I could to visit the kiosk, and honestly I would go even more often if it was closer to me. But it's worth the trip when I do go; since having Gelato Mio I tend to avoid the other gelato places in Dubai, the quality is just nowhere near. Plus with the benefit of generous portions, I am happy with the price too.

No comments:

Post a Comment